Sunday, January 11, 2009

NOVEMBER 8 - STRUTT YOUR MUTT

The Las Vegas Dock Dogs Club hosted its first event at the Henderson "Strutt Your Mutt". LVDD members met early on Thursday, November 6, to ready the dock and equipment needed for the event. On Friday, a "dress rehearsal" of a wave was held. Club members were given the opportunity to run the paces and get a feel for how a competition would run. In addition, volunteers were instructed on what their duties would be during the competition. After the "mock" wave, there was a demonstration of "extreme vertical" (EV), as well as, "speed retrieve".

Mia and Pete participated in the Big Air and seemed confident for Saturday. I was a volunteer "wrangler", which meant I needed to keep the competitors in order, 5 feet apart, call a competitor to the dock, with the "on deck" stationed at the bottom of the stairs ready to go upon hearing their name called, and the 3rd up ready to move in. During practice, I could do this.....no problem whatsoever!!! One very important rule of Dock Dogs, no more than one (1) handler and one (1) dog on the dock at a time!

The "EV" demonstration was NEXT. Big Air is when a dog's favorite retrieve toy is thrown in the water and the distance the dog jumps to retrieve the toy is recorded. EV is slightly different..........a specific object is suspended out and over the water with the dog jumping UP to retrieve the object. Our very special friends, Lianne with Tank, and Lisa with Tractor had the starring roles for the demonstration. Each dog jumped over 7'......yes, that's feet straight up!!!! VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Following "EV", members were given the opportunity to try "speed retrieve". This competition consists of a "dead foul trainer" suspended at the end of the pool. Each participant is to run, jump and swim to the trainer and grab it.....the trainer has to come completely loose. Timing stops once the trainer has fallen from its holder.

We thought Mia might do pretty well with this since she swims pretty fast. One thing might be a problem. Mia only shows interest in retrieving a ball. In order to entice her to participate, I stood at the end of the pool waving the ball in the air. We figured she'd swim to me. By the time she'd get to the trainer, I could coax her to grab it. Sounded like a good idea, right?

Pete takes Mia up to the dock. Belle and I are located at the end of the pool with me waving the ball. Mia takes off, jumps good and is swimming her little heart out to get to me and the ball. She completely swims around the trainer, places her front paws on the edge and promptly stands up on her hind legs climbing to get out of the pool to look for the ball. Meanwhile, I'm holding Belle with all my might as Belle is pulling and standing on her hind legs trying to get to Mia in the pool!!! I think between the 2 dogs, I had more water on me than what was in the pool. Mia scored a "DNF" for the practice run. We decided that maybe this would be something to practice at home during the off season!

Because this was LVDD first ever event, it was considered more of an exhibition. Thus, rules for qualifying were not enforce and all who participated could qualify for the Finals. "Team Mia and Pete" were registered for 3 Waves. The first wave started around 10:30 am. Mia's first official "LAS VEGAS DOCK DOG" recorded jump was 15'7". That jump qualified her for the Senior class
. Her other two recorded jumps for the day each qualified her in the Junior class.

The weather for the day was outstanding, mid 70's I think. The event ran extremely smooth. There was one little hiccup. During the final wave of the day, a complete team of "Fly Ball" dogs were entered in the wave. Here I am trying to maintain a little order while the group was in line for practice. There was so much barking, laughing, barking, talking and barking going on, no one paid any attention to me. (In fact, the only one who took me serious when I told her "excuse me, you need to have 5' between dogs" was Lisa with Pebbles....I think I actually did scare Lisa a little!!!!!) Furthermore, at one point, there were two handlers and three dogs up on the Dock!!! I had totally failed as a Wrangler!!!!!!! I had to call for assistance!!!!! With Lisa's help, order was once again restored!!

Belle, on the other hand, was having anxiety attacks whenever Pete and Mia would leave to jump. I LITERALLY had to HOLD her around her body to keep her in place. The crying and howling was a little embarrassing. I'm sure people thought I was pulling her tail or pinching her! And, every time Mia would exit the pool, Belle would pull me to the meet Mia at the bottom of ramp. After Mia's last jump (in the last wave), Belle headed UNDER the stairs with me in tow quickly ducking to avoid running face first into the side rails!!!!!

Daylight was quickly fading when the announcement of who was in the Finals. Mia had made the Senior Title Finals. Once the park lights came on the Final Waves began. Team Mia and Pete proceeded to the dock and Mia finished the day with a 15'3" jump. I was so excited that Mia had cleared 15' this late in the day that I screamed and jumped up to run to Mia.

Somehow, Belle came out of the choke chain and took off in the opposite direction!!! I quickly had to do a 360 and chase Belle up the bleachers. Some people grabbed her and I was able to get the choke chain around her neck. When we got back to Pete, I swore up and down that I was going to learn how to work the electronic collar. I have gotten the collar out, charged it and am currently trying to find time to read the directions. I'm definitely going to be able to use it by the 2009 events!

All the results had been completed and the winners were announced! Mia had earned SECOND PLACE in the SENIOR FINALS! Team Mia and Pete were presented with a VERY BEAUTIFUL LARGE RIBBON and $75.00. Way to go TEAM MIA AND PETE..........You MADE US PROUD!!!!!

It had been another GREAT DAY!!! Good weather, GREAT FRIENDS and most of all a GREAT TIME!!!! With that, we packed up, hashed over the day with the other LVDD members and said our good byes. Pete headed home with the girls, while I stayed to help finish cleaning up the Club's belongings.

If you would like to see video or pictures of the day, as well as other information relating to Dock Dogs, please check out www.LasVegasDockDogs.com and click on the appropriate link. You'll find lots of interesting information on the site.

Well, I think this has turned into an epic!!!! And, once again, I should publish this without any further delay!!! Next up, our Year End Banquet!!! Stay tune!!!